This post is also available in: Deutsch
I’m Carlo Cao and I’m the founder, recipe developer and food photographer of carlocao.com a vegan food blog. When I'm not developing recipes for this blog I work as a chef in the retreat house Cortinella Alpine Hideaway, in Uri (Switzerland).
I was born and raised in Switzerland, more specifically in the Poschiavo valley. Poschiavo is located in the southeast of Switzerland, in the Grisons, and it borders with Italy. Due to this territorial contiguity, Val Poschiavo is culturally strongly influenced by Italy.
For this reason, I grew up eating and loving traditional Italian dishes such as: polenta, pizzocheri, sciat, chisciöi etc. Food has always been extremely important in my family. My grandmother was a passionate cook and she transmitted her passion for cooking to my mom who then passed it on to me.
This love for cooking led me to make my passion into my profession. In 2017 I started eating mainly vegan and a few years later carlocao.com was born. On this blog I share my vegan recipes with you.
I created this blog with a specific purpose; demonstrating that the vegan cuisine is all about healthy, nutritious recipes that focus on whole ingredients such as: vegetables, fruits, grains, legumes, mushrooms, nuts, and seeds.
What You'll Find
On carlocao.com you will find a lot of delicious vegan recipes. The most popular category at the moment is the one dedicated to recipes that replace meat with a vegan alternatives. These are the trending recipes:
Another beloved category is that devoted to vegan desserts. Here you will find simple and delicious recipes to top off any meal. These are the most popular recipes:
The third most popular category is dedicated to vegan entrees. Here you will find recipes rich in vegetables, legumes, mushrooms, grains, nuts and seeds; perfect for satisfying your hunger with nutritious and delicious recipes.
Of all the recipes on the blog, these are the ones that particularly struck a chord with readers:
Fun facts about Carlo Cao
- On the web I am known for my passion for Italian cuisine, but another cuisine that I adore wholeheartedly is the Indian cuisine, thanks to which I learned to cook using many different spices that I didn't know before.
- I have a master's degree in Hispanic and Italian philology and in economic education. While fulfilling my master's degree in Barcelona I started my blog and when I finished my studies I was earning enough so that I created my own company.
- I love languages and speak five fluently: Italian, English, Spanish, German and Swiss German.
- My mom used to take me to the woods to harvest mushrooms. I carried on this passion and one of my favorite hobbies in the fall is to spend the weekend in the woods foraging for porcini, chanterelles, judas ears, parasols and witch's boletus.
- My grandfather was a doctor and photographer. Unfortunately, he left long before I took up photography but I like to think I inherited some of his artistic streak.
Features in the media
I have been featured in many news outlets over the years. From SRF to WWF, Gault & Millau, Adthrive, Il Bernina and many more. Here are some news sites and websites i had the chance to be featured on:
- SRF Schweiz Aktuell: «Schweiz auf dem Teller»
- WWF: «Herzhaft vegan mit Carlo Cao»
- Gault & Millau: «Voll vegan: das neue Kochbuch von Cao»
- Il Bernina: «Carlo Cao, personaggio mediatico dell’anno»
I am an author of two vegan cookbooks published by two of the largest publishing houses in the German-speaking territory (Germany, Switzerland, Austria):
With the AT Verlag I published the cookbook "Genussvoll. Geschmackvoll. Vegan" a cookbook that focus on delicious recipes created using whole ingredients such as vegetables, fruits, legumes, grains, mushrooms, nuts and seeds.
With the Riva Verlag I published the cookbook "Party Food Vegan" a cookbook that focus on party-recipes for meals with friends and family.
Work with me
Based in the center of Zürich, Switzerland, I am always looking to collaborate with sponsors who align with our values. Check out our contact page to get in touch with us.
If you want to stay in touch you can follow us on social media and join our community of foodies:
You can also receive our new recipes directly in your mailbox, sign-up for our newsletter.