This post is also available in: Deutsch
Are you looking for a quick and easy recipe to make vegan creme brulee? Then you're in the right spot! This creme brulee is ready in 15 minutes, tastes amazing, and requires only 6 ingredients!
I've made this dessert a bunch of times for non-vegan friends and family and everyone is always super impressed!
Before you start cooking this recipe I suggest you read this blog post carefully. The recipe is simple but there are some tricks to consider when making it.
- How to substitute ingredients
- Step 1: Make the creme brulee cream
- Step 2: Cook the cream
- Step 3: Pour the cream into the ramekins
- Step 4: Top with sugar and caramelize with a torch
- Make ahead option
- How to store creme brulee
- Other desserts you might like:
- If you try this recipe….
- 📖 Recipe/Rezept
- 💬 Comments/Kommentar
To make this vegan creme brulee you only need the following 6 ingredients:
- coconut milk
- vanilla pod or vanilla powder
- soy, almond or oat milk
- saffron or turmeric powder (for the color, optional)
- corn starch
How to substitute ingredients
I already know that some of you will ask me how to substitute X for Y. So below I want to explain how to substitute certain ingredients:
- Coconut milk: We use coconut milk because it has a high fat content, which is why it helps us get a creamy creme brulee with a pudding-like consistency. Coconut milk can be replaced by vegetable cream or 80 grams of cashews blended with 220 ml of water.
- Corn starch: Corn starch has only one task in this recipe, to stabilize the creme brulee. You can replace this ingredient with agar agar powder or the same amount of tapioca flour.
- Sugar: Sugar is used to make creme brulee sweet and to make the caramel coating characteristic of this dessert. We can use either unrefined brown sugar or white sugar but it is not possible to substitute this ingredient with another one.
Step 1: Make the creme brulee cream
To make the creme brulee we start by placing sugar, cornstarch and saffron (or turmeric) in a bowl. Then we add half of the the vegetable milk and mix until we have a lump free mixture.
Next, we add the rest of the vegetable milk and coconut milk and mix thoroughly. Once we have a smooth mixture, we will move on to the next step.
Step 2: Cook the cream
Once we have a lump free mixture we can pour it in a saucepan and bring it to a boil while continuously mixing.
The cream will become increasingly thick and creamy. After 2-3 minutes of boiling we can turn off the stove and remove the cream from the heat.
Step 3: Pour the cream into the ramekins
Once the creme brulee cream is thick and glossy we can pour it into 6 small ramekins and allow it to cool completely.
Once cool, we can cover the ramekins with plastic wrap and allow them to rest for at least 4 hours in the fridge.
Step 4: Top with sugar and caramelize with a torch
Before serving the creme brulee, we sprinkle it with sugar and caramelize it with a torch.
If you don't have a torch you can use the grill option of your oven. Preheat the oven to 250 °C (500 °F), once hot set the ramekins into the oven just as long as the sugar is completely caramelized.
Make ahead option
This creme brulee can be made a day or two in advance. The only thing to keep in mind is adding the sugar and caramelizing it right before serving.
Do not caramelize the sugar in advance because it will melt.
How to store creme brulee
The creme brulees can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
I don't recommend freezing this dessert because it totally changes the texture of the creme brulee.
Other desserts you might like:
- Vegan Pistachio Cheesecake
- Vegan Biscoff Cheesecake
- Vegan Pavlova with Lemon Curd and Berries
- Vegan Peanut butter Bars with Chocolate & Salt Flakes
If you try this recipe….
If you tried this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate the recipe and don't forget to tag a photo with #vegaliciously or #carlocao on Instagram or Tiktok!
If you have Pinterest, feel free to pin the image below and follow me by clicking here 😌
Vegan Creme Brulee (Easy & Quick Recipe)
- 3 tbsp heaped corn starch
- 60 g sugar
- 1 pinch of saffron
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 300 ml coconut milk
- 250 ml soy almond or oat milk
- 6 tsp sugar for sprinkling
- Place corn starch, suagr, saffron and vanilla powder into a bowl.
- Stir in half of the coconut milk and stir until lump free.
- Pour in the rest of the coconut milk and the plant-based milk of your choice.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and bring to a boil while mixing constantly.
- Cook until thick and glossy, then pour the mixture into 6 ramekins and allow to cool completely.
- Cover ramekins with plastic wrap and set in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Once set, sprinkle with some sugar and caramelize with a torch.
- Serve straight away. Enjoy!