This post is also available in: Deutsch
Are you looking for the perfect recipe to make a spicy Korean cucumber salad? Then you are at the right place. This salad is super easy to make, requires only 6 ingredients and is ready to serve in less than 30 minutes!
Before you jump into the kitchen to make this recipe I suggest you read this blog-post carefully. In fact, I will explain important details such as how to substitute ingredients or how to store the leftovers.
Making this Korean cucumber salad is super easy and requires only a handful of Ingredients. To make it you'll only need the following:
- baby cucumbers
- Korean chili flakes (gochugaru)
- rice vinegar
- light soy sauce
- garlic cloves
- roasted sesame seeds
Making this salad is super quick and easy. Here's a quick visual explanation on how to make it:
Start by placing a cucumber between two chopsticks and cut it diagonally (with a 45° angle). The chopsticks will prevent you from cutting through. Then flip the cucumber and cut it straight. If you need more help take a look at this video (00:50-1:30).
Place cucumbers in a bowl and set aside.
In a bowl, mix all the sauce ingredients until combined.
Pour the sauce over the cucumbers and stir. Allow to rest for 15 minutes and serve straight away.
Hint: When you stir the cucumbers be gentle, you do not want to break them.
Before we go to the actual recipe let me explain to you how to substitute some ingredients:
- Korean chili flakes - You can find them in any Asia store and on the internet. They are not so easy to substitute because they have a very special taste. That said the thing that comes closest to them is sweet paprika powder.
- Rice vinegar - use the same amount of apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar.
- Garlic - If you don't like it you can leave it off or replace it with garlic powder (it will taste less like garlic).
Sometimes we do not have the time to finely chop cucumbers into "accordions". In this case we can finely slice them into rounds and then mix them with the sauce. The result will still be absolutely delicious!
Also, if you want to be a little extra you can top them with crushed peanuts and the green part of a spring onion (thinly sliced).
For this spicy Korean Salad all you need are 2 bowls, 2 chop sticks and 15 minutes of time.
How to store
If you have any leftovers don't throw them away.
You can place the salad in an air-tight container and store it in the fridge for 1 day.
If you want to add an extra touch of crunchiness you can top your salad with a teaspoon of crushed peanuts and the green part of a spring onion (thinly sliced)!
If you love this recipe I'm sure you'll love these as well:
Leave a comment
If you try this recipe please let me know! Leave a comment at the end of this blog-post, rate the recipe in the recipe card below and don't forget to tag a photo or video with #carlocao or #vegaliciously on Instagram or Tiktok.
Pin the recipe
Feel free to pin the image below and if you want to follow me there, feel free to click here 😌
Spicy Korean Cucumber Salad (Oi Muchim)
- 6 Kirby pickling cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon Korean red chili pepper flakes (gochugaru)
- ½ teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 rablespoon light soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 splash of water
- Place a cucumber between two chopsticks.
- Cut straight slices from top to bottom, the chopsticks create a barrier to prevent you from cutting through.
- Then flip the cucumber so that the uncut side faces up and cut slightly diagonal this time.
- Repeat with the remaining cucumbers.
- Grind sesame seeds in a mortar (or blender).
- For the sauce, mix all the ingredients (including sesame seeds) in a bowl.
- Pour over the cucumbers, mix and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods