Diesen Beitrag gibt es auch auf: Deutsch
These vegan schnitzel made of oatmeal are absolutely delicious, easy to make and only require a handful of ingredients to make. If you need a quick and delish alternative to traditional Schnitzel you have to try them!
When I first heard about vegan schnitzel made of oatmeal, I thought I was being fooled! For me, oatmeal is synonymous of sweet dishes like porridge, cookies, granola, etc. . I never thought you could make something savory with it.
But here I am, telling you that these vegan schnitzel are absolutely to die for! Plus, they're quick to prepare, low-cost, and can easily be made gluten-free! Ooh and the best part: to make them you only need 9 ingredients which you most likely already have in your kitchen!
Before you jump into the kitchen, I recommend you read this blog post carefully. The recipe is simple, but there are a few steps you need to follow.
- How to make gluten-free Schnitzels
- Step 1: Making the Schnitzel Mixture
- Step 2: Shape the Schnitzels
- Step 3: Cooking the Schnitzels
- Step 4: Drain the excess oil and serve the Schnitzels
- How to store vegan Schnitzels
- More recipes you may like
- If you try this recipe...
- 📖 Recipe/Rezept
- 💬 Comments/Kommentar
To make these vegan schnitzel, all you need are the following 9 ingredients:
- quick oats (use gluten-free quick oats if you want to make gluten-free schnitzels).
- breadcrumbs (use chickpea flour if you want to make gluten-free schnitzels)
- soy milk
- mixed herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage)
- garlic powder
- vegetable oil for frying (missing on the photo)
We can not use just any kind of oatmeal to prepare vegan schnitzel. In fact, we must use quick oats, that is, oatmeal that is already partially ground.
We have to use this kind of oat flakes, because only with them the vegan schnitzel mixture sticks together properly and does not break during cooking.
If you can't find them in the supermarket, you can buy regular rolled oats and grind them in a food processor for a few seconds. I personally have never tried this method, but it should work.
How to make gluten-free Schnitzels
This recipe can also be easily prepared gluten-free. We just need to use gluten-free quick oats (available in any supermarket) and replace breadcrumbs with chickpea flour. The result will be absolutely delicious!
Step 1: Making the Schnitzel Mixture
We start preparing our vegan schnitzels by adding oatmeal, spices and mustard to a bowl and mix well. We then add the heated soy milk, mix and cover the container with a plate or cling film and let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, the oats should have absorbed all the liquid. To know if the mixture is ready, we can form a small ball with the mixture. If it keeps its shape without breaking, we can proceed to the next step.
In case the mixture is too liquid, we can add 1 tablespoon of oats and let it rest for another 5 minutes. If it's too dry, we can add a drop of soy milk or water.
Step 2: Shape the Schnitzels
Once the mixture is ready, we can form our schnitzels. To do this, we put the breadcrumbs or chickpea flour in a bowl and we form 4 equal-sized balls with the mass.
Then we press them (one by one) with the palm of our hand into the breadcrumbs and so we form the schnitzels.
The schnitzels must be at least 5 mm thick. I recommend not to make them too big, because they tend to break while flipping them during cooking .
Step 3: Cooking the Schnitzels
Once the schnitzels are formed, we can fry them. To do this, we heat a frying pan with some vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, we add the cutlets and fry them for 2-3 minutes on each side.
To turn the schnitzels I recommend you to use a large spatula, because the schnitzels are rather fragile.
Step 4: Drain the excess oil and serve the Schnitzels
Once our schnitzels are nice and golden, we place them briefly on a piece of kitchen paper (to remove excess oil) and then serve them with vegan mayonnaise or ketchup.
How to store vegan Schnitzels
If you have vegan schnitzels left over, don't throw them away. Put them in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator.
You can reheat them within 3-4 days. To reheat, put them in the oven at 180 °C (360 °F) for 15 minutes.
More recipes you may like
- Tasty Vegan Kabobs with Sweet Curry Marinade (Grill Recipe)
- Extra Tender Vegan Roast Beef
- Beste Ever Vegan Butter Chicken
- Veggie Balls with Tikka Masala Sauce
If you try this recipe...
Let me know! Leave a comment, rate it and don't forget to tag a photo with #carlocao or #vegaliciously on Instagram & Tiktok. Cheers, friends!
If you have Pinterest feel free to pin the following picture and to follow me by clicking here 😌
Best Vegan Schnitzel (made od Oatmeal)
- *200 g quick oats ((7 oz))
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp herb mixture rosemary sage, thyme
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 180 ml unsweetened soy milk warmed up ((6 fl oz))
- **150 g breadcrumbs ((5 oz))
- oil for frying
- Mix oatmeal, garlic powder, herbs, mustard, paprika and salt in a bowl. Add the hot milk, stir and cover the bowl for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, stir well and form four equal-sized balls.
- Put the breadcrumbs on a plate.
- With the palm of your hand press the balls in the breadcrumbs to form 5 mm thick schnitzels.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a non-stick frying pan. When the oil is hot, add the schnitzels and fry on both sides until golden.
- Place the schnitzels on a piece of baking paper and remove excess oil.
- Serve with mayonnaise and vegan ketchup.
Hai, saya ingin tahu harga Anda.
This is absolutely delish! I think I like it better than actual meat! Thank u!!
Could someone please tell me the ingredients in cups? I don't have kitchen scales and I have no idea what these amounts are. The result looks good though!
I made it this recipe cause the only thing I had in my cupboard was Oats, So I decided to give it a try!!
it was a very nice surprise. Loved the taste and the texture. The next day I made a sandwich with the leftover and it was amazing!
Best vegan schnitzel ! Super quick and easy to make too!
Will definitely make it again!
Dear Lucia, thank you so much for your feedback, I'm glad you liked them!
Is it mustard powder or prepared mustard?
Hi Gregory, it's creamy mustard, no powder 🙂 X, Carlo
If you add some vegan egg powder (flaxseed powder)would that help the mixture hold together better for easier handling? Thank you. These look great!
Hi Eileen, I would not add flaxseed because of the nutty flavor. If you are afriad that the schnitzel won't stick together you can blend your oats a little, the more processed the oats the stickier they'll be. I hope this helps. Best, Carlo
Eill water work good instead of milk? And... Will baking instead of frying work?
Hi, water works perfectly too 🙂 Best, Carlo