This post is also available in: Deutsch
Are you looking for the perfect recipe to make a delicious mushroom pie? Then you're in the right place!This pie is a real treat and is super simple and quick to make. All you'll need to make it are 10 ingredients and 1 hour of your time.
The pie is made of puff pastry which is filled with a creamy sautéed mushroom filling (made of mushrooms, vegan sour cream, herbs, white wine and marsala). To give an extra touch of flavor the pie is topped with black sesame seeds. The result is a dish that will impress everyone, trust me!
Before you jump into the kitchen to prepare this dish I suggest you read this blogpost carefully. The recipe is simple but there are a few steps to keep in mind while making it.
- Vegan sour cream
- Vegan puff pastry
- Vegan butter
- Parsley & dill
- Step 1: brown the onions
- Step 2: Add the mushrooms
- Step 3: Pour in white wine and marsala
- Step 4: Add sour cream
- Step 5: Add herbs
- Step 6: Fill the pie
- Step 7: Top the pie with puff pastry
- Step 8: bake the pie
- How to store
- How to reheat
- More recipes you may like
- If you try this vegan mushroom pie….
- 📖 Recipe/Rezept
- 💬 Comments/Kommentar
To make this mushroom pie will only take you about 60 minutes of time and the following 10 ingredients:
- Mix of mushrooms
- Puff pastry
- Small onions
- Maple syrup
- Sesame seeds
- Vegan butter
- Vegan sour cream (I forgot to add it in the picture below)
- Mix of green herbs such as dill and parsley
- White wine
Mushrooms are the main ingredient of this recipe. For this reason I recommend using high-quality ones.
I like to use a mix of at least 3 different types of mushrooms when I make this pie because each type has a different texture and flavor. Therefore by combining them the pie will be extra delicious!
That said you can also make it using only one type of mushrooms, it will still be delicious!
These are the mushrooms I recommend using:
- Porcini mushrooms
- Portobello mushrooms
- Shiitake mushrooms
- Maitake mushrooms
- Oyster mushrooms
- Enoki mushrooms
- Chanterelle mushrooms
- King Oyster mushrooms
Vegan sour cream
We use sour cream to make the mushroom filling creamy and to add a touch of acidity. You can use either cashews or soy sour cream depending on which one they sell at your local supermarket.
In case you cannot find it you can either make it by blending 2 handfuls of cashews with a dash of water and 1 tbsp of lemon juice or use unsweetened soy or cashew yogurt.
Vegan puff pastry
Puff pastry sold in supermarkets nowadays is almost always vegan. In fact, for cost reasons and in order to make it longer lasting, for some time now butter has been substituted by vegetable oil.
Therefore you should not have any problem in finding vegan puff pastry in your trusted supermarket.
In the unlikely event that you don't find it, you can replace it with vegan puff pastry, the result will be equally delicious!
We use vegan butter for sautéing mushrooms. I used a cured vegan butter to add an extra touch of flavor and I recommend you do the same.
If you can't find vegan butter you can substitute it with olive oil or margarine.
Marsala is a Sicilian liqueur used in Italy to add a touch of flavor to sauces, soups, desserts etc. . Moreover, it is also the same liqueur used to make tiramisu.
In our mushroom pie, Marsala adds depth and carries aromas and flavor making the filling even more tasty.
If you do not have a bottle of it in your kitchen I suggest you to buy it because it's absolutely delicious and it can make a "boring" dish into an authentic explosion of flavors. Moreover, it does not go bad, you can keep it for years and it is always delicious!
Parsley & dill
Parsley and dill add a touch of freshness to the filling. You can also use cilantro if you want.
If you can't find one of them just replace it with the same amount of the other one.
Step 1: brown the onions
To make the mushroom pie, we start by sautéing the onions (previously cut into quarters) until slightly browned.
once the onions are soft and fragrant we move on to the next step.
Step 2: Add the mushrooms
Next, we add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook until they begin to release their liquid.
We keep on cooking until the juice has completely evaporated.
Step 3: Pour in white wine and marsala
Next we pour in white wine and marsala and keep on simmering until completely evaporated.
Step 4: Add sour cream
Now we add the sour cream and mix until incorporated.
Step 5: Add herbs
Next we stir in the herbs, mix until combined and adjust salt and pepper.
Step 6: Fill the pie
Now we line a pie tin with the diameter of 20 cm (8'') with baking paper and cover the bottom and sides of the tin with puff pastry cutting off excess pastry.
Then we add the filling and spread it evenly.
Step 7: Top the pie with puff pastry
Next we top the pie with the second sheet of puff pastry, seal the edges and cut off any excess pastry.
Step 8: bake the pie
Now we just have to brush it with maple syrup, top it with sesame seeds and bake it at 200 °C (360 °F) for 40 minutes until golden.
Once baked we remove it from the oven and allow it to chill for 15 minutes before serving.
How to store
You can store the mushroom pie either in the fridge or in the freezer (depending on how long you want to keep it).
- Refrigerator: place the pie in an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Freezer: wrap the pie in portions in plastic wrap, place in an airtight container and place in the freezer. You can keep it in the freezer for up to 1 month. Before serving, let it thaw completely in the refrigerator.
How to reheat
To reheat, place the in the preheated oven (180 °C, 360 °F) for 20 minutes until hot and crispy. Serve right away.
More recipes you may like
- Extra Tender Vegan Roast Beef
- Easy & Delicious Vegan Shredded Chicken
- The Ultimate Vegan Wellington
- Vegan Chickpea Cutlets
If you try this vegan mushroom pie….
Please let me know! Leave a comment, rate the recipe and don't forget to tag a photo with #carlocao or #vegaliciously on Instagram or Tiktok.
Feel free to pin the image below and if you want to follow me there, feel free to click here 😌
Sesame Crusted Vegan Mushroom Pie
- 70 g vegan butter ((2½ oz))
- 6 small onions quartered
- 600 g mixed mushrooms ((21 oz))
- 200 ml white wine ((⅘ cup))
- 3 tbsp marsala
- 200 ml vegan sour cream (((⅘ cup))
- 15 g fresh dill chopped ((½ oz))
- 15 g parsley chopped ((½ oz))
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° C (390 °F).
- Heat butter in a large pan.
- Add in onions and saute until brown (5 min.).
- Stir in mushrooms, adjust salt and pepper and cook until mushrooms release their juice (add a dash of water if needed).
- Keep on simmering until the juice has completely evaporated.
- Pour in wine and marsala and keep on simmering until evaporated.
- Stir in sour cream and herbs and mix until combined.
- Line a pie tin with the diameter of 20 cm (8'') with baking paper.
- Cover the bottom and sides with a sheet of puff pastry, remove excess pastry.
- Stir in filling and spread evenly.
- Top with the second sheet of puff pastry, seal edges and remove excess pastry.
- Brush with maple syrup and top with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 40 minutes in the center of the oven.