Diesen Beitrag gibt es auch auf: Deutsch
Do you want to make spinach pasta yourself? Are you looking for the perfect recipe for spinach pasta dough? Then you are in the right place! I learned this recipe from my grandmother Bruna, the queen of homemade pasta. This pasta is super easy to make and only requires two ingredients! What's more, the dough is prepared without egg and is therefore 100% vegan.
Making homemade pasta is not only super satisfying, it's also incredibly easy and rewarding. The pasta you'll make using this recipe will taste nothing like store-bought noodles, it will have a delicate yet intense and delicious spinach flavor.
If you have a pasta machine, it's time to dust it off and use it. In case you don't have one you can simply use a rolling pin. The result will be just as delicious!
Before you jump into the kitchen, I suggest you read this blog-post carefully. This recipe is easy to make but there are some tips and tricks it's useful to know before you start.
- How to make homemade dough
- Homemade pasta dough troubleshooting
- How to make pasta with a pasta machine
- How to make pasta without pasta machine
- How to cut pasta sheets into noodles
- How to cook homemade pasta
- How to dry, store and freeze homemade pasta
- More recipes that you might like
- If you try this recipe...
- If you have Pinterest...
- 📖 Recipe/Rezept
to make this spinach pasta, you only need two ingredients: Flour and spinach (frozen or fresh).
You can use either fresh or frozen spinach to make the dough.
- Fresh spinach: cook it in boiling water for a few seconds, drain it, squeeze it lightly and blend it until creamy.
- Frozen spinach: I recommend you buy ground spinach and thaw it. If you use frozen spinach leaves, thaw them and blend them until creamy.
How to make homemade dough
You can make the dough in two ways: by hand or with a food processor. For the sake of simplicity, I recommend using a food processor.
- Food processor: Put the flour and spinach in a food processor and blend until you get a grainy mass. Put the mixture in a bowl and form it into a ball with your hands. Wrap the dough with plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- By hand: Put the flour on a clean work surface and make a well in the center. Place the previously blended spinach in the well and, using a fork, gradually mix it with the flour from the inside out. Then knead the mixture for about 10-15 minutes until smooth.
Homemade pasta dough troubleshooting
- The dough is too dry: Before adding water to the dough, let it rest in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Once the gluten in the dough has relaxed, it will be much easier to knead. If it is still hard to knead after 15 minutes, add a sip of water. Remember that the finished dough should not be sticky, so don't add too much liquid.
- The dough is too sticky: in this case, add flour to the dough and knead it until the flour is well incorporated. Remember: for the pasta to turn out well, the dough must not be sticky.
How to make pasta with a pasta machine
Divide the dough into 4 pieces (as in the photo above), take one piece and wrap the remaining 3 in plastic wrap so they don't dry out. Flour a work surface and form a rectangle with the dough.
Set the rollers of the pasta machine to the widest opening and turn the dough through the rollers. Fold the dough sheet and turn it through the rollers again. Repeat the process 2-3 times.
Once the dough is smooth, set the rollers 1 step tighter. Keep tightening the rollers until the dough sheet is about 2 mm thick.
How to make pasta without pasta machine
Divide the dough into 4 pieces (as in the photo above), take one piece and wrap the remaining 3 in plastic wrap so they don't dry out.
Flour a work surface and form a rectangle with the dough. Roll out the dough into a 2 mm thick rectangular sheet. Roll up the dough sheet and cut it into 5 mm wide slices. Set the noodles aside and repeat the process with the remaining dough.
How to cut pasta sheets into noodles
- With pasta machine: pasta machines usually come with a pasta cutter attachment. If you have one, use it to cut the dough into noodles.
- Without pasta machine: roll up the dough sheet and cut it into 5 mm wide noodles. Repeat the process with the remaining dough.
How to cook homemade pasta
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add in the pasta and cook for about 4-5 minutes without a lid on until it's firm to the bite (or as we say in Italian: al dente). Drain the noodles and serve immediately with a sauce of your choice.
How to dry, store and freeze homemade pasta
- Dry: make sure the noodles are well floured to prevent them from sticking. The best way to dry homemade noodles is using a pasta rack. If you don't have one, place the pasta on a baking tray lined with baking paper (as shown in the picture below) and let dry for 2-3 days (flip the pasta once a day). Once dry store in an airtight container for up to 2-3 months.
- Freeze: place the noodles on a tray/plate (as showed in the picture below) lined with baking paper and set in the freezer. Once frozen, put the noodles in a freezer bag and store them for 2-3 months in the freezer.
More recipes that you might like
- Homemade Pesto-Cheese Ravioli with fried Sage Topping
- No Knead Super Soft Focaccia With Onions and Olives
- Best Ever Tofu Nuggets with Sriracha-Mayo
If you try this recipe...
If you try this recipe for spinach pasta dough let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #carlocao or #vegaliciously on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
If you have Pinterest...
Feel free to pin the following picture and to follow me by clicking here 😌