Diesen Beitrag gibt es auch auf: Deutsch
This vegan mozzarella has the perfect texture, tastes absolutely delicious and is easy to make. Slice it thinly and serve it with juicy tomatoes, fresh basil and a dash of olive oil and you'll have the most delicious vegan Caprese salad.
This vegan mozzarella is a winner. It tastes like traditional mozzarella and has a very similar texture. It's also super easy and quick to make.
Before you jump into the kitchen to make it, I suggest you read this blog post carefully. The recipe is simple but there are some steps and tricks to take into account.
To make this vegan mozzarella you only need the following ingredients:
- raw cashews
- soy yogurt (unsweetened)
- soy milk (unsweetened)
- tapioca starch (it's what gives a stretchy texture to it)
- agar agar powder (it makes the mozzarella firm, can be substituted with corn starch)
- garlic powder
How to make vegan mozzarella
The process is easy. All you need to do is placing cashews, soy milk, and the rest of the ingredients in a food-processor and blend until you get a perfectly smooth cream.
Then you pour the mixture into a saucepan, cook it until firm, wrap in baking paper or cling film and allow to cool in the fridge for a couple of hours.
For the vegan mozzarella to have the perfect consistency it's important to use a powerful blender.
If your blender is not powerful, boil the cashews for 20 minutes. This will make them tender and easy to blend.
Step 1: Blend the ingredients
The first step to make the cashew mozzarella is to place all the ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until creamy and smooth.
Step 2: Cook the mixture
Once you have a smooth mixture you can pour it into a saucepan and cook it over medium to high heat, while stirring constantly.
The mixture will get firm and stretchy as shown in the picture below.
Once it starts pulling from the pan and it gets firm you're ready to go.
The more you cook the mozzarella the firmer it will get. So you can play with the cooking time.
Step 3: Wrap mozzarella
Once the mozzarella has reached the consistency you like, wrap it in moistened baking paper or cling film and allow it to cool completely at room temperature.
Step 4: Chill the mozzarella
Once cool, place in the fridge for a couple of hours to set.
Once the mozzarella is cool and firm you can use it as you wish 🙂 just unwrap it, cut it into slices and serve it.
How to use
You can use the mozzarella to make a delicious caprese salad (which is my favorite way to serve it).
Just be aware that it won't melt. If you're looking for a mozzarella that melts you should check out the recipein my ebook.
How to store
If you have left over mozzarella don't throw it away! Place it in an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
I do not recommend freezing it since it changes it's texture.
More Delicious Recipes
- Double Chocolate Pudding Cake
- Italian Custart Tart (Torta della Nonna)
- Extra Fudgy Vegan Butter Beans Brownies
Leave a comment
If you tried this recipe and you now know how to make the best vegan croissants ;), let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #carlocao or #vegaliciously on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Pin this recipe on Pinterest
Feel free to pin the following picture and to follow me by clicking here 😌
Vegan Mozzarella Recipe (Made with Cashews)
- 90 g cashews ((3 oz))
- 150 g soy yogurt ((5.5 oz))
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 250 ml soy milk ((1 cup))
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 tsp agar agar powder or 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. If your blander is not very powerful, boil the cashews for 20 minutes and then blend them with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and heat over medium to high heat while stirring constantly.
- Cook until the mixture is stretchy and thick (about 5 minutes).
- Moisten two sheets of baking paper, place half of the mixture in each sheet and wrap it up.
- Allow to cool completely and set in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
- Serve as desired.