This post is also available in: Deutsch
Are you looking for a recipe to make an absolutely delicious chocolate pudding cake? Then you are at the right place. This chocolate pudding is super creamy, easy to make and absolutely delicious. It also happens to be 100% vegan and gluten-free.
If you love chocolate pudding you should definitely check out this chocolate tofu pudding recipe. It's delish and protein packed!
Back to our chocolate pudding cake, serve it with a scoop of coconut whipped cream and a cup of hot coffee and you'll have a delicious dessert to treat yourself with.
Before you jump to the recipe, I suggest you read this blog-post carefully. The recipe is easy to make but there are some tricks to keep in mind.
You will need the following ingredients to make this chocolate pudding cake:
- coconut milk
- brown sugar
- cocoa powder
- dark chocolate
- agar agar powder (not flakes!)
See recipe card for quantities.
In case you need to substitute ingredients here you will see what can be substituted and how:
- Coconut milk - instead of coconut milk, you can use any plant-based milk of your choice. In this case use ⅓ more of agar agar.
- Brown sugar - use the same amount of maple syrup instead of brown sugar to make this pudding refined sugar free.
- Agar agar - the agar agar cannot be replaced since there is no other plant-based gelatine replacement other than this one.
Any ingredient not mentioned above cannot be substituted.
This recipe is super easy to make and requires almost no special equipment.
To make this recipe all you'll need is a pan and a pudding mold.
I used a cylindrical form with a capacity of about 1,000 ml (4 cups). In case you do not have a cylindrical form you can of course use whatever form you have on hand.
In the picture below I used a different mold and the result was great.
You can also divide the pudding into smaller cups creating mono-portions.
Here you have a brief explanation on how to make the chocolate pudding cake.
Step 1: Heat coconut milk in a large saucepan.
Step 2: Add in sugar, water, cocoa powder, agar agar and salt.
Step 3: Stir in chocolate and bring to a boil.
Step 4: Pour the mixture into a pudding form and allow to chill. Set in the fridge overnight once cool.
Once the pudding has set, we can remove it from the mold, top it with more cocoa powder or melted dark chocolate and serve it straight away with a scoop of coconut whipped cream.
Hint: Remember to mix the agar agar with little water before adding it to the mixture. Otherwise it won't combine properly.
How to store
You can store the chocolate pudding cake in the fridge for about 3-4 days.
Place it in an airtight container and serve it within 3-4 days.
I do not suggest to freeze the pudding since this will completely change the texture.
Make ahead option
The pudding can be made 1-2 days in advance and removed from the mold once you want to serve it.
If you want to pair it with coconut whipped cream I suggest you make the cream just before serving it.
More delicious desserts
- Italian Custart Tart (Torta della Nonna)
- Super Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Extra Fudgy Vegan Butter Beans Brownies
Pin this recipe on Pinterest
If you have Pinterest, feel free to pin the following picture and to follow me by clicking here 😌
Leave a comment
If you try this recipe, let me know! You can leave a comment, rate the recipe, and don’t forget to tag a photo #carlocao on Instagram or Tiktok!
Chocolate Pudding Cake (Vegan)
- hand mixer
- 200 ml coconut milk ((⅘ cup)
- 250 ml water ((1 cup))
- 70 g brown sugar ((2½ oz))
- 1 pinch of salt
- 45 g cacao powder
- *120 g dark chocolate ((3½ oz))
- **1 tsp agar agar powder
- Place milk, water, sugar and salt in a saucepan and heat over medium heat.
- In a bowl, whisk cacao powder with 4 tbsp of water until lumps free then add into the milk mixture and stir.
- Add in the chocolate and stir until dissolved.
- Place agar agar in a glas, add in 1 tbsp of water, stir and pour into the chocolate mixture.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a mold, let it cool completely before placing in the fridge. Allow it to rest in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.