Diesen Beitrag gibt es auch auf: Deutsch
This vegan potato gratin is a delicious side dish. To make it you'll only need 8 ingredients and a little time, in less than 30 minutes it's ready to go into the oven.
This potato gratin is perfect to serve with vegan roast beef or this mushroom Wellington.
In case you prefer to serve it with something quick and easy to make I recommend pairing it with this chickpea cutlet or this oatmeal schnitzel.
Before you jump into the kitchen to make this recipe I recommend reading this blog-post carefully.
To make this vegan potato gratin you'll need the following ingredients:
- vegan cheese (one that melts)
- vegan butter or olive oil
- vegan cream (soy or oat cream work great)
See recipe card at the end of this blog-post for the quantities.
So that you can understand the recipe perfectly, below is a brief visual explanation of each step of the recipe.
Using a mandolin, cut the potatoes into thin slices about 2-3 mm thick. Then place them in large bowl and set them aside.
In a frying pan, sauté onion, garlic, rosemary, and thyme until the onions are browned.
Then add the vegetable cream and paprika. Turn off the heat and remove the pan from the stove.
Next, add in the vegan cheese, adjust salt and pepper and mix well.
Pour the cheese mixture oven the potato slices and mix until coated.
Grease a cast iron pan or a baking dish with olive oil and arrange the potatoes slices into the pan.
Top the potatoes with more thyme and pepper. Cover the pan with a tight layer of foil.
Bake for 40 minutes at 200 °C (400 °F), then remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes until golden and crispy.
Make ahead option
This vegan potato gratin can be baked 1 day ahead. Allow it to cool down completely before covering it and placing it in the fridge.
Reheat the gratin in the preheated oven at 180 °C (360 °F) for 20 minutes until crispy and serve immediately.
You can store this potato gratin in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.
Place it in an air-tight container. Reheat it in the preheated oven at 180 °F (360 °F) for 20 minutes before serving it.
These are the ingredients that can be substituted:
- Vegan cheese - instead of vegan cheese, you can use the same amount of cashew parmesan. The recipe will turn out a little different but it will be delicious.
- Herbs - I love to use thyme and rosemary but you can use also oregano or tarragon.
- Vegan cream - use cashew cream instead. Add a handful of cashews and 1 tbsp of olive oil to a blender, pour in 1 cup of water and blend until creamy and lumps free. The cream should be slightly thick, if not add more cashews. Use this instead of vegan cream.
- Vegan butter - use olive oil instead.
If you want you can give a little twist to this recipe. Here you have some ideas on how you can change this recipe to better suit your taste:
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes to the sauce.
- Mushroom - add 1 cup of sliced portobello mushrooms along with the onions, garlic and herbs.
- Saffron - add ¼ tsp of saffron powder to the sauce.
To make this recipe is useful to have a mandolin. The mandolin makes it much easier to slice potatoes. That said you can also use a super sharp knife.
To bake the potatoes I like to use a cast iron pan. If you don't have one you can just as well use a baking dish.
Leave a comment
If you tried this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate the recipe and don't forget to tag a photo with #vegaliciously or #carlocao on Instagram or Tiktok!
If you have Pinterest, feel free to pin the image below and follow me by clicking here 😌
Vegan Potato Gratin (Dauphinoise)
- 750 g potatoes ((26½ oz))
- 75 g vegan butter ((2½ oz))
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp rosemary chopped
- 2 tsp thyme chopped
- 250 ml vegan cream ((1 cup))
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 125 g vegan grated cheese ((4½ oz))
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- Slice the potatoes into 3 mm thick slices using a mandolin. Place the slices into a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat a pan over high heat. Add in butter and allow to melt.
- Stir in onions, garlic and herbs and cook until the onions are browned.
- Pour in cream and paprika and remove from the heat.
- Stir in cheese, adjust salt and pepper and stir well.
- Pour the mixture over the potatoes and stir until coated.
- Grease a cast iron pan or a baking dish and arrange the potatoes slices tightly.
- Top with black pepper and more thyme. Cover with foil tightly.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 45 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes until crispy.
- Serve straight away.
Leave a Reply