Diesen Beitrag gibt es auch auf: Deutsch
Swiss braided bread is one of the most beloved loaves. Soft and light on the inside with a super crispy crust, it's a must for every Sunday morning brunch. This version is totally vegan yet absolutely delicious!
This version of the Swiss braided bread is as delicious as the traditional one (trust me on this). It's also super easy to make, if you're not a pro at baking don't be afraid, it will turn out delicious!
This recipe is very flexible. In fact, the loaf can be prepared the day before, rise overnight in the refrigerator and be baked the next morning, or it can be prepared and baked on the same day.
Is Swiss braided bread vegan?
The traditional recipe for Swiss braided Bread is not vegan because is made using animal products like milk, butter, eggs or honey.
Ingredients for vegan Swiss braided bread
To make this delicious bread you only need the following 7 ingredients:
- bread flour (with 12% protein)
- vegan butter
- soy milk
- brewer's yeast (dry or fresh)
- soy cream
- granulated sugar (optional)
The traditional Swiss braided bread is brushed with egg wash before baking. This gives it its typical golden color.
Well, for the vegan version we use plant-based cream, which gives the same result (I use the Alnatura soy cream and I love the result).
How to bake Swiss braided bread
To bake the Swiss braided bread, I use the method of one of the best cooks in Switzerland: Annemarie Wildeisen. Her method is to turn on the oven only when you put the bread in.
I've always gotten delicious loaves when I've baked them this way, so don't panic, it will work!
How to braid
If you don't know how to braid, I recommend watching this tutorial from Migusto (click here to watch it).
I usually make mine with the 3 strands method (it's the easiest one and it looks fancy to me). In the video (from 00:20 to 00:30) you see how to braid it this way.
How to store Swiss braided bread
You can either store the Challah loaf in an air-tight plastic bag at room temperature or in the freezer (depending on how long you want to keep it).
If you choose the freezer, I recommend slicing the bread, wrapping it in plastic wrap, and placing it in an airtight container.
This will prevent it from absorbing flavors from other foods. You can store the bread in the freezer for up to 1 month. Allow it to thaw completely before serving.
More Delicious Recipes
- Italian Custard Tart (Torta della Nonna)
- Super Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Extra Fudgy Vegan Butter Beans Brownies
Have You Tried This Recipe?
If you tried this recipe for braided bread, let me know! You can leave a comment, rate the recipe, and don’t forget to tag a photo #carlocao or #vegaliciously on Instagram!
If you have Pinterest, feel free to pin the following picture and to follow me by clicking here 😌
Swiss Braided Bread
- 35 g lukewarm water ((1½ oz))
- 1 tsp sugar
- *25 g fresh brewer's yeast
- 50 g bread flour 12% protein ((1¾ oz))
- 1 st dough
- 550 g bread flour 12% protein ((19 oz))
- 250 ml soy milk ((9 oz))
- 1 tsp sugar
- 110 g vegan butter ((4 oz))
- 10 g salt ((⅓ oz))
- 2 tbsp. soy cream
- 1 tbsp pearl sugar
- Put water, sugar and yeast in a bowl and mix until dissolved. Add flour and mix briefly. Form a ball, cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let the pre-dough rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
- Add flour, milk, sugar, butter and salt to the pre-dough and knead everything with a kneading machine or food processor or by hand until a smooth dough is formed. Put the dough in a large bowl, cover with a damp cloth and let it rise until doubled (about 2 hours).
- For braiding, divide the dough into 3 equal portions and shape them into strands about 40 cm (16 inches) long. Braid them into a plait.
- If you want to bake it on the same day: Place it on a baking tray covered with baking paper, brush with a little water and let it rise until doubled in size (about 1 hour).
- If you want to bake it the day after: Place the braid on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, brush with a little water, cover with foil, and let it rest in the refrigerator overnight (about 12-14 hours).
- Before baking, brush with vegan soy cream and top it with pearl sugar (optional).
- Add 1⁄2 cup water to the bottom of the cold oven. Set oven temperature to 200 °C (390 °F) convection. Bake in the center of the oven on rising heat for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool for 2 hours before serving.
Leave a Reply