This post is also available in: Deutsch
Are you looking for the perfect recipe to make a vegan chocolate cake that is fluffy, moist, chocolaty and easy to make? Then you're in the right place! Because this cake is absolutely delicious.
I've been making this recipe for vegan chocolate cake for years and believe me when I say it's one of my most requested and beloved recipes EVER.
Vegan Chocolate Sponge Cake
The vegan chocolate sponge cake is very simple to make. In fact, you just have to mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Then you add the wet ingredients and mix well until incorporated. Then you put the mixture into a Ø 18 cm (7 inches) cake pan and bake it in the center of the oven for 50 minutes at 170 ° C (340 °F).
Once baked it's important that the cake cools completely before you add the frosting to it. I suggest you make the sponge cake the day before, let it cool completely and put it in the fridge overnight (well wrapped in baking paper or plastic wrap).
Letting the cake rest in the fridge overnight will make both cutting the cake in half and decorating it with frosting way easier.
Trick for a moist cake
The trick to getting a moist cake is to cut the cake in half and brush the cake layers with plant-based milk. This will ensure that the cake doesn't come out dry.
The chocolate frosting is super simple to prepare. You'll just need to mix all the ingredients with a hand mixer until you get a lump-free chocolate cream.
You can frost your cake however you prefer. I like to add a layer of frosting in the center, sides and top of the cake. The frosting that I have left over, I put in a piping bag and use it to decorate the top of the cake.
That said you can also just add a layer of frosting in the center and top of the cake if you want to be faster and/or if you're not used to frosting cakes. The result will be delicious either way!
How Can I Store The Cake?
You can either store the vegan chocolate cake in the fridge or freezer (depending on how long you want to store it for).
- Fridge: Place the cake in an airtight container or cover it with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge for up to for 4-5 days.
- Freezer: Wrap the cake in cling film, either whole or by the slice, and place in an airtight container. This will prevent it from absorbing flavors from other food in the freezer. You can store the cake in the freezer for up to 1 month. Allow to thaw completely before serving.
More Delicious Desserts
- Italian Custard Tart (Torta della Nonna)
- Super Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Extra Fudgy Vegan Butter Beans Brownies
Have You Tried This Recipe?
If you try this recipe for no bake chocolate cheesecake, let me know! You can leave a comment, rate the recipe, and don’t forget to tag a photo #carlocao or #vegaliciously on Instagram!
If you have Pinterest, feel free to pin the following picture and to follow me by clicking here 😌
Vegan Chocolate Cake with Cacao Frosting
Chocolate Sponge Cake:
- 180 g white flour ((6½ oz))
- 150 g brown sugar ((5½ oz))
- 1 pinch of salt
- 45 g unsweetened cocoa powder ((1½ oz))
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 150 ml coconut oil or margarine ((⅗ cup))
- 300 ml soy milk (( 1 ⅕ cup))
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 250 g margarine ((8½ oz))
- 120 g powdered sugar ((4¼ oz))
- 50 g unsweetened cocoa powder ((1¾ oz))
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 dash of soy milk
- Preheat the oven to 170 °C (340 °F) and line a Ø 18 cm (7 inches) cake pan with baking paper.
- Put flour, sugar, salt, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl and mix.
- Add coconut oil, soy milk and white wine vinegar and mix briefly with a hand mixer.
- Pour the mixture into the cake pan, spread evenly and bake in the middle of the oven for 50 minutes.
- Let the cake cool for 5 minutes, then remove it from the baking pan and turn it upside down. Let the cake cool completely for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight*.
- For the frosting, put margarine, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, salt and soy milk in a bowl and beat with a hand mixer until creamy.
- Cut the cake into 2 equal layers.
- Place one cake layer on a cake plate, brush with a little soy milk and smooth ⅓ of the frosting on top.
- Place the second layer of cake on the frosting, press down a little, brush with a little soy milk and spread with ⅓ of the frosting.
- Put the remaining frosting in a piping bag with a star-shaped nozzle and decorate the cake with it.
- Store the cake in the fridge, remove from the fridge 15 minutes before serving.