This post is also available in: Deutsch
This vegan pumpkin roll is the perfect fall dessert. It's delicate, soft and pretty much easy to make! This beauty is made of a pumpkin sheet cake filled with the fluffiest coconut whipped cream EVER.
If this is the first roll cake you bake, I recommend you read the entire article. It's an easy recipe but you have to follow every single step to nail it!
2 important ingredients: pumpkin puree and aquafaba
The pumpkin sheet cake is made of pumpkin puree, aquafaba, white flour, cinnamon powder, baking powder, sugar and salt.
Regarding the pumpkin puree: if you have 1 hour of time and a ripe pumpkin ready to use you can make it yourself, click here to see how. If not, you can get store-bought pumpkin puree 🙂
If you are wondering what aquafaba is, here is a brief explanation: it's the liquid you find in a can of chickpeas. We use it here to replace egg whites because it whips and creates a foam (just like egg-whites do!).
How to make the pumpkin sheet cake
The pumpkin sheet cake is very simple to prepare. Use a mixer and beat aquafaba until it starts to get foamy. Add in sugar and continue to mix until it becomes very fluffy and forms stiff peaks.
Start adding the previously sifted flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Mix slowly using a spatula until you get a lump-free mass. Then add the pumpkin puree and mix gently until well incorporated.
With the help of a spatula spread the dough and give it the shape of a rectangle about 30 X 35 cm with a thickness of 0.5 cm. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (360 F) and bake the sheet cake for about 10-15 minutes.
After 10 min stick a toothpick into the center of the sheet cake. If there is wet batter still on the toothpick, it needs little more time in the oven.
The filling: coconut whipped cream
This delicious vegan pumpkin roll is filled with coconut whipped cream. If you've never made it before I highly recommend you take a look at my guide on how to make the fluffiest coconut whipped cream in 5 easy steps.
If you bake this vegan pumpkin roll, let me know! You can leave a comment, rate the recipe, and don’t forget to tag a photo #vegaliciously on Instagram! Buon appetito!
Pumpkin Roll Cake
- hand mixer
For the pumpkin sheet cake
- 170 g aquafaba
- 150 g sugar
- 130 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- salt to taste
- 180 g pumpkin puree
For the filling
- *3.5 dl (1.5 cup) full-fat coconut milk chilled overnight
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 2 tbsp whipped cream stabilizer
For the whipped coconut cream
- Place coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight. The next day chill a large glass bowl in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the freezer and add in milk *, vanilla powder, sugar and whipped cream stabilizer. Whip the cream for 5-10 minutes until stiff peaks form. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before frosting the cake.
For the pumpkin sheet cake
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (360 F).
- Use a mixer and beat aquafaba until it starts to get foamy. Add in sugar and continue to mix until it becomes very fluffy and forms stiff peaks.
- Start adding the previously sifted flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Mix slowly using a spatula until you get a lump-free mass.
- Then add the pumpkin puree and mix gently until well incorporated.
- With the help of a spatula spread the mass on a baking sheet lined with baking paper giving it the shape of a rectangle of about 30 X 35 cm with a thickness of 0.5 cm.
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 10-15 minutes.
- As soon as you pull the sheet cake out of the oven, turn it out onto a clean towel dusted with powdered sugar. Peel off the baking paper and roll the cake up into the towel (starting at one of the short ends). Let cool completely.
- Unroll the cake and spread the coconut whipped cream across the cake, leaving about 2 cm (⅔ an inch) around the edge unfrosted.
- Roll the cake up and set it in the fridge for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Buon appetito!
If you have Pinterest, feel free to pin the following picture and to follow me by clicking here