This post is also available in: Deutsch
I made this Strawberry-Rhubarb Cake for my sister Maddalena's birthday. She has always disliked any chocolate or cream cake (I know, WTF?!), while she has always been passionate about fruitcakes. I am the exact opposite, the sweeter the better! Gimme a super indulgent cake full of chocolate/caramel/cream and I can die happy!
This cake is light, fluffy, delicate and easy to make. All you need are some very ripe and flavorful strawberries and a couple of rhubarb stalks. Quick note: if you want to make it extra indulgent serve it with some coconut-ice cream or coconut whipped cream, this will take the whole cake-experience to a whole new level, trust me!
In this recipe I used banana as a egg-substitute. If you do not like bananas you have two options. The first one is using a not too ripe one, this will make sure that the cake doesn't taste like it. The second one is using two flax-eggs. Just combine 2 tbsp of flax seeds powder with 6 tbsp of water and whisk until the mixture becomes gelatinous.
If you try this Strawberry-Rhubarb Cake, let me know! You can leave a comment, rate the recipe, and don’t forget to tag a photo #vegaliciously on Instagram! Buon appetito!
- hand mixer
- 200 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 150 g unrefined brown sugar
- 100 g cacao butter melted
- a pinch of salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ banana mashed
- 2 tbsp apple vinegar
- 1.5 dl almond milk
- 10 strawberries washed and cut into tiny pieces
- 200 g rhubarb 2-3 stalks, washed
- a handful of flaked almonds
- powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl.
- In another bowl using a hand-mixer process butter and sugar until creamy. Add in banana, salt, vanilla, milk and vinegar and mix until the mixture gets thicker and fluffier.
- Using the hand-mixer at its lowest speed, whisk the dry mixture with the wet one until lumps free.
- Add in strawberries and mix gently using a spatula.
- Pour the mixture in a 9-inch baking pan covered in baking sheet and distribute the cake batter evenly.
- Cut rhubarb stalks into 4 inches-long-pieces and place on the top of the cake.
- Top the cake with flaked almonds.
- Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes. Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes. Once baked, let it cool completely.
- Before serving, dust the cake with powdered sugar.
- Buon appetito!
f you have Pinterest, feel free to pin the following picture and to follow me by clicking here 😌