Macaroni and Cheese is one of those recipes we all grew up eating. This version is obviously totally vegan yet absolutely delicious! This recipe skips real cheese and instead uses nutritional yeast and cashews for a rich and satisfying flavor. In one word: YUMMY!
This blog-post is sponsored by the “Plant Based Cookbook” a brand that has created an amazing plant based cookbook with more than 100 tasty and TOTALLY vegan recipes (this Macaroni and Cheese recipe is one of them!).
I highly recommend the book to anyone who wants to learn new recipes and follow a healthy and balanced diet. The recipes are quick and easy to prepare and therefore perfect for those who have recently become vegan and need a book that introduces them to this world full of new ingredients and recipes, click here to get your copy.
The following ingredients are needed for this recipe: cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic, turmeric, mustard, salt, lemon juice and water. All the ingredients are easily available, the only one that might be tricky to find is nutritional yeast. For those who don’t know what it is, nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast that is often used in the vegan cuisine to give creams and sauces the typical taste of cheese. If you can’t find it in your local supermarket, try looking for it in any vegan grocery store nearby or online.
Preparing this vegan macaroni and cheese is very simple. Just put all the ingredients into a high-speed blender and grind everything until you get a creamy lump-free mixture, cook the macaroni as written on the package and then mix the macaroni with the cream. Et voila! Your vegan macaroni and cheese is ready for you! Enjoy!
If you try this recipe, let me know! You can leave a comment, rate the recipe, and don’t forget to tag a photo #vegaliciously on Instagram! Buon appetito!
Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard, dijon or yellow
- 16 ounces of shell pasta of choice, gluten-free, if needed
- Prepare the pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, combine the cashews, lemon juice, water, salt, nutritional yeast, chili powder, garlic, turmeric, cayenne (if using), and mustard in a high speed blender and blend until silky smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add 2-4 more tablespoons of water and blend again.
- Once the pasta is tender, drain and rinse it, then return the pasta to the pot and stir in the cheese sauce. Season to taste and serve warm!
If you have Pinterest, feel free to pin the following picture and to follow me by clicking here 😌