This Quick, Light & Creamy Lemon Hummus is one of my favorite recipes ever. It’s super creamy, healthy, light and delicious. You can can serve it with salad, raw vegetables or with some crispy bread.What makes this Hummus even better is the fact that if you use canned chickpeas you can make it within 5 minutes; all you need are a few ingredients and a food-processor or a blender.
Regarding the chickpeas, you can use canned ones or you can cook them yourself. I don’t think there’s a huge difference. Self-cooked chickpeas tend to make a creamier Hummus but it takes quite some time to get them ready to use. Whereas canned chickpeas make a chunkier cream but allow you to make Hummus within 5 minutes. I personally love it both ways but I’m a very spontaneous person so I usually grab a can of chickpeas and I make Hummus straight away.
If you want to cook the legumes yourself then it’s really important that you incorporate baking soda in the water you soak and cook the chickpeas in. Baking soda will raise the pH levels of the water which will soften the chickpeas. This will make them quicker to cook and super creamy.
If you try this Quick, Light & Creamy Lemon Hummus, let me know! You can leave a comment, rate the recipe, and don’t forget to tag a photo #vegaliciously on Instagram! Buon appetito!
Quick, Light & Creamy Lemon Hummus
- 125 g dry chickpeas OR 1 can chickpeas, if canned: rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 garlic clove
- juice of 1 lemon
- lemon zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- salt & pepper
If you cook the chickpeas yourself
- Place the dry chickpeas in a bowl, cover with water, add in 1 tsp of baking soda, whisk evenly and let soak overnight (12 hours).
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas, put them in a saucepan, add in 1 tsp of baking soda bring to a boil, and cook at a low temperature for 45-60 minutes (the water should NOT be boiling just simmering!).
- Once cooked, rinse and dry the chickpeas and let them cool completely.
If you use canned chickpeas start from here
- Put tahini in a food-processor, add water and process for a minute.
- Add in lemon juice, salt, garlic, cum and lemon zest and process for another minute.
- Add in chickpeas and process until creamy. If too thick add a drizzle of olive oil or water.
- Scrape the hummus into a serving bowl, top with a drizzle of olive oil, some pepper, smoked paprika and fresh thyme!
- Buon appetito!
If you have Pinterest, feel free to pin the following picture and to follow me by clicking here 😌